Thursday, January 29, 2009

Seattle Making the Right Moves



I was skeptical when Freddie Ljungberg went down. I never liked that they would be playing in a football stadium. But besides those two issues, I am impressed by everything else that the Seattle Sounders are doing. While most teams in the MLS routinely lose money, Seattle is already planning on making a profit this year. Also, contraty to how San Jose was solid defensively but inept on offense throughout much of their first year back in MLS (until they made a few trades later in the season), Seattle is focused on having a quality team from day one. Excluding players they obtained through expansion draft, they have already signed Osvaldo Alonso, Fredy Montero(Highlights above from his time in Colombia), Taylor Graham, Patrick Ianni, Chris Eylander, Kasey Keller, Sebastien Le Toux, Sanna Nyassi, and Freddie Ljunberg. Alonso, Graham, Le Toux, and Eylander all come from USL, and it is nice to see an MLS team bringing in top players that are MLS-quality from that league. I am also liking the move for a young foreign attacking prospect like Fredy Montero. O yea, don't forget that they drafted the best attacking prospect in the MLS Superdraft, Steve Zakuani, with the number 1 pick. I don't know if I see them making the playoffs in the first year, but I definitely see them putting in a better performance than RSL, Chivas USA, and San Jose did in their expansion years.

1 comment:

DadRyan said...

I'd have to agree that Seattle seem to throwing everything they've got at their cause. NOt sure that's going to translate into great chemistry right off the bat on the field though. I think it will take some time for the club to Gel, but having lived in Seattle for some years I have a keen interest in the goings on out there.
It hurts just a little bit to see the Sounders moving forward in a positive direction while DC United's future is full of so many question marks... I'd rather see soccer on the Pitch at RFK than on the plastic at Qwest, and I know for a fact they'll never have the incredible tailgate we get in the District. It still hurts a little bit.
Nothing a a bunch of beers, grilled meats and a DCU win won't fix of course!
LIke the blog man.
Keep it up!